Monday, August 20, 2012

My 30 Most Frequently and Recently Played Brazilian Songs

Gusttavo Lima and Carmen Miranda Share A Moment
Using my iTunes play count, I've found my top 30 most often played Brazilian songs.  

Now, before I even get to the list, I'm warning you that there's an over-representation of sertanejo universitario, because as I mentioned in an earlier post, I like to listen to it when I work out. I'm being painfully honest here: when I'm staring down minute 45 on the elliptical trainer, a high-energy sertanejo rocker is a bit more motivating than a laid-back, gentle bossa nova.  

Also, Michel Teló and Gusttavo Lima were two of the first contemporary Brazilian singers that I started listening to after I began my study of Brazilian Portuguese, so they've been in my iTunes library longer, and therefore have received more airtime. 

I tend to listen to some artists (João Gilberto, Elis Regina) more often on my home system using a CD than I do using iTunes, so this list really represents what I listen to in the car, at the gym, mowing the lawn, or otherwise on the go. 

So...please don't judge! Or if you must judge, don't be too harsh :)

OK, with all of those disclaimers out of the way.....here they are:
  1. "Balada," Gusttavo Lima
  2. "Ai Se Eu Te Pego," Michel Teló
  3. "Humilde Residência," Michel Teló
  4. "60 Segundos," Gusttavo Lima
  5. "Fugidinha," Michel Teló
  6. "Depois," Marisa Monte
  7. "Anna Júlia," Los Hermanos
  8. "Tornado," Gusttavo Lima
  9. "Todo Carnaval Tem Seu Fim," Los Hermanos
  10. "Copo D'água," Marcelo Jeneci
  11. "Meteoro," Luan Santana
  12. "Quem Tem Sorte É Sortero," Gusttavo Lima
  13. "Jardim do Éden," Marcelo Jeneci
  14. "Hoje Eu Não Saio Não," Marisa Monte
  15. "Você Não Sabe o Que é Amor," Luan Santana
  16. "Epitáfio," Titãs
  17. "Pra Alegrar o Meu Dia," Tiê
  18. "Só Sei Dançar Com Você," Tiê
  19. "Não Se Vá," Thiago Pethit
  20. "Mapa Mundi," Thiago Pethit
  21. "Coincidência," Michel Teló
  22. "O Que Você Quer Saber de Verdade," Marisa Monte
  23. "Verdade, Uma Ilusão," Marisa Monte
  24. "Se Eu Não For," Michel Teló
  25. "Elevador," André Abujamra
  26. "Demais da Conta," Gusttavo Lima
  27. "Alô, Alô," Carmen Miranda
  28. "Mulher de Fases," Raimundos
  29. "Águas De Março," Antonio Carlos Jobim & Elis Regina
  30. "Na Rua, Na Chuva, Na Fazenda (Casinha De Sapê)," Hyldon
Next are the 30 Brazilian songs that I've listened to most recently, also based on iTunes data:
  1. "Eu Vou Torcer," Jorge Ben
  2. "Menina Mulher Da Pele Preta," Jorge Ben
  3. "Errare Humanum Est," Jorge Ben
  4. "O Homem Da Gravata Florida," Jorge Ben
  5. "Morena Boca De Ouro," João Gilberto
  6. "Bim Bom," João Gilberto
  7. "Rosa Morena," João Gilberto
  8. "Desafinado," João Gilberto
  9. "Maria Ninguém," João Gilberto
  10. "Saudade Fêz Um Samba," João Gilberto
  11. "Hó-Bá-Lá-Lá," João Gilberto
  12. "Brigas, Nunca Mais," João Gilberto
  13. "Lobo Bobo," João Gilberto
  14. "Chega De Saudade," João Gilberto
  15. "Os Alquimistas Estão Chegando Os Alquimistas," Jorge Ben
  16. "Os Deuses do Olimpo Visitam o Rio de Janeiro," Various
  17. "Mas, Que Nada," Tamba Trio
  18. "Essa Moça Ta Diferente," Chico Buarque
  19. "O Telefone Tocou Novamente," Jorge Ben
  20. "Moro No Brasil," Carioca
  21. "Madalena," Elis Regina
  22. "Aquarela Do Brasil," Gal Costa
  23. "O Que É Que A Baiana Tem?" Ney Matogrosso
  24. "Cupido," Maria Rita
  25. "Difícil Esconder," Allisson e Anderson
  26. "Namorar Pra Que," Allisson e Anderson
  27. "Vem Dançar Com Tudo," Robson Moura/Lino Krizz
  28. "Felicidade," Diogo Poças
  29. "Chumbo Quente," Diogo Poças
  30. "Carioquinha," Diogo Poças

2 comments:

  1. I'm not judging, but you've read the translation of these two songs? I am Brazilian, I know what I'm talking about. The songs of Michel Teló and Gustavo Lima has a very strong sexual connotation. '' Ai se eu te pego'' (Michel Teló) direction is ''Oh if I fuck you.'' It has absolutely nothing to do with Carmen Miranda, who sang little songs ''innocent''. Very careful with what you're ''searching'' about Brazil. Do not go listen to our funk, because the sense of it is ''fuck'', that is. The pace is lively, but ... like you do not understand the lyrics, so you listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In answer to your question, yes, I have read translations of the two songs you referred to, and I'm aware that the verb "pegar" has colloquial meanings in addition to its literal meaning "to catch." The lyric translation that I have seen most often is "if I catch you," but obviously there is not universal agreement about this.

    I never said that the songs of Gusttavo Lima or Michel Teló have anything to do with Carmen Miranda, but maybe you got the wrong idea because of the caption under the photo, where I wrote that "Gusttavo Lima and Carmen Miranda Share A Moment." Since Ms. Miranda died in the 1950's, long before Gusttavo Lima was born, the caption was intended to be humorous. Their musical styles are clearly very different. :)

    ReplyDelete