Sunday, August 5, 2012

More Brazilian Music

Before I started learning Brazilian Portuguese, I had never heard the term "MPB" and the only Brazilian music I owned was the classic "Getz/Gilberto" album from the early 60s.  It's still a great album, but in the past few months, I've added a lot of new Brazilian music (new to me; some of it is not new at all).


I've already written about some of my favorites, and I recently wrote a post about the legendary Brazilian singer and actress Carmen Miranda, but now I want to mention a couple of new additions.


First up is Diogo Poças, who is interviewed in this clip, which also includes some samples from his songs:




I like his laid-back style and his modern interpretation of classic Brazilian sounds. 


His CD is called "Tempo," and the download is much less expensive than the disc itself. 
Another entry in the mellow category comes from Gosto Delicado, whose self-titled CD has quickly become one of my favorites. The cover art is surprisingly low-key and monochromatic for a Brazilian CD, but the music itself is anything but dull.
In an exchange of comments about Carmen Miranda's accent with Alex, author of the blog "Bossa Breezes," he mentioned the song "O Telefone Tocou Novamente," by Jorge Ben. It's from his 1970 album "Força Bruta," but my iTunes search showed it first on the excellent compilation CD "Pure Brazil: Caipirinha," which I previewed and then downloaded almost immediately.  It's upbeat and totally addictive (in a good way).  
That led me to another CD from the same series, "Pure Brazil: Feijoada." I have to admit that the cover art of both of these "Pure Brazil" CDs appealed to me right away, but it's the music that really won me over.  


There are even more albums in the "Pure Brazil" series, but for now, I'm taking a break, giving my iTunes and Amazon accounts a rest, and enjoying these latest additions to my rapidly growing selection of Brazilian music.

I know that there are lots of other Brazilian musicians I should be checking out, though, so I'd welcome any suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment